Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lust Vs. Love (In My Opinion)

So, I forwarded my blog to a friend of mine to ask for some feedback and she had a question - How do you know the difference (between lust and love)? So, I thought about it and I decided I'd give MY opinion on what I thought lust was and how do you know when your in lust vs. love... but before I get into that, I just want to inform my readers whomever they may be that I'm just writing from my heart. I'm not following a strict timeline or going in some type of specific order... I'm writing what I'm feeling at that moment!

So back to Lust vs. Love... so I said to myself what is lust and what is love b/c to many people including myself they are two VERY different emotions although they often get mixed up. Lust is defined by many sources as an intense or unrestrained sexual desire or could also be an intense desire or need, longing or craving. And love to many is defined as, well thats a good question because so many ppl who can actually define love define it in so many ways... My definition of love is an emotion eluding strong admiration, devotion, attraction, respect, TIME, TRUST etc. etc. etc. Love has so many positive and uplifting qualities. I feel that lust is exactly what it is - a strong DESIRE or NEED and its always for your own personal gain and self worth or how it makes you feel at that moment but is never fulfilling. Love can also be a desire or need but in my opinion love is never just about yourself or what you stand to gain and is always fulfilling. In my opinion, when you lust for something, your craving or wanting or needing for something that you necessarily shouldn't have. When you have lust its normally for things we long for like power, wealth, someone's husband or wife - just to name a few examples. Lust is never everlasting or unconditional...

Lust became a part of my life and my relationship. I allowed myself to long and desire conversation, attention and maybe even affection from everyone else but the man that I loved and loved me. I BELIEVED (key word) these things would fulfill and satisfy me but instead they served their purpose which was to fulfill me for the time being. But as time went on, I was craving for conversation, attention and affection more often (not that I wasn't recieving it from my relationship), but in my MIND it wasn't enough (it was all about what I could get). Why not get it from my boyfriend and everyone else who wanted to give it to me! Instead, I allowed it to control me and my relationship and therefore ended up "alone". I love(d) my "boyfriend" (I put quotes b/c technically as I'm writing this we are no longer together but in my heart I BELIEVE we will be) - and I'm sure this might sound like a contradiction considering if I loved my boyfriend I should have been fulfilled and satisfied with his love but I wasn't only operating with my heart! My mind was greedy and selfish and I allowed it to penetrate and destroy something I had that was so great... and so pure... almost how the ink for a tattoo layers right underneath the top layer of skin... Oh how I regret (which I don't have many regrets), allowing LUST to penetrate my LOVE and leave a scar that I'm working so hard now to make fade away...

No comments:

Post a Comment